Wonderful piece from ruralteacher, who shares her reasons for getting on a bus to D.C. to Occupy the Department of Education. Among her reasons:
- It is organized and planned as only educators and parents can do! There are teach-ins, speakers, open mic time, and a chance for me to LEARN something new. I hunger for these opportunities – to learn!
- When I hear that schools in my area are doing “Dress Rehearsals” for State Tests, I want to scream or cry. It’s bad enough that the kids will have to sit for 90 minutes for 6 days total, but to do it to them as “practice” is inhuman.
- There are 3 children that I have given birth to who MUST see their mother stand up for something that is my passion.
- There are countless former students and present students who don’t have a voice or a choice and someone MUST speak for them!
- I am tired of sitting and doing nothing. It is TIME TO ACT!
- There is NO OTHER OPTION. Give us clear vision, that we may know where to stand and what to stand for – because unless we stand for something, we shall fall for anything.
Behind you all the way, ruralteacher! Godspeed.