Draft Curriculum Platform
Curriculum encompasses the principles, goals, instructional practices, and materials that organize the learning environment. A quality pubic school curriculum enables all students to realize their full intellectual, physical, and social potential. It prepares our youth to be lifelong learners capable of pursuing meaningful, productive and fulfilling lives that contribute to the future of a democratic and humane society.
Toward these ends, Save Our Schools supports education policies that provide school communities with sufficient and equitable resources to provide quality curricula to all public school students that are:
Developed by professional educators in consideration of local school communities and national/global realities
- Is developed by schools and their communities free of interference from political and corporate interests
- Allows for flexibility and diversity of curriculum goals responsive to the needs and desires of local school communities
- Ensures continual updating and improvement of curricula and instruction through on-going, collaborative self-study by school communities.
Enacted by professional educators with appropriate expertise and certification
- Provides equitable resources to every school to employ a full staff of qualified and certified professionals to enact the curricula in every subject and specialty area
- Provides resources to hire professional support staff from a variety of fields (social workers, medical personnel, IT specialists, etc.) to ensure optimal learning environments in every classroom.
Recognizes and responds to students’ differing social, cultural and language backgrounds.
- Is sensitive to diversity of languages, cultures, socioeconomic levels, and gender of student population
- Represents the contemporary and historical contributions of those from multiple global cultures
- Validates students’ own language and culture while building appreciation of diverse cultural and social traditions
- Provides access to bilingual/multilingual education for all students
Responds to differences in what students know and how they learn.
- Is flexible enough to respond to students’ diversity of knowledge, strengths, aptitudes, and skills
- Allows for students to demonstrate learning in different ways and at different rates
- Incorporates a wide range of classroom assessment practices that inform instruction and support student achievement
Provides classroom educators with the flexibility and resources to support learning of all students
- Offers flexibility in choice of instructional programs and materials that meet the diverse needs of learners
- Empowers teachers to select instructional practices appropriate to the subject matter and responsive to the diverse needs of learners
- Ensures the availability of fully funded school and classroom libraries, staffed by professional librarians, to support instructional goals and student learning.
- Provides instructional technology that supports 21st century learning in every classroom.
- Offers services from a variety of specialists and support staff to support learners with particular learning needs.
Facilitates continuous development of students’ knowledge, interests, and skills
- Provides a well-rounded and broad curriculum that sparks interests and develops aptitudes in all areas of human experience (music, fine art, physical arts, technology, etc)
- Accesses each child’s natural curiosity and creativity to support a love of learning
- Provides opportunities for students to engage in a wide range of authentic, first hand learning experiences to support learning
- Ensures small classroom sizes so that teachers are able to build upon students’ individual aptitudes and interests.
- Develops skills of inquiry appropriate and adaptive to new situations and technologies
Organized on the basis of current knowledge about how children learn and develop
- Builds upon prior knowledge and experience of learners
- Provides active and engaging learning opportunities that promote deep and meaningful learning
- Offers a range of classroom practices that are developmentally appropriate to the social and intellectual level of the students.
- Provides a wide range of flexible groupings to encourage individual, social and one-on-one learning opportunities for every child.